The Black Cloud (Book Review)
The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle was a good sci-fi book that explores both human politics and another way a consciousness can be. One thing I was most suprised by were the strong characters and how the interaction between the human ‘factions’ played out.
Let me go back to how I reviewed some earlier works of fiction and analyse the story steps, spoilers ahead:
- You: the whole human race, or more specifically the researchers who we get to meet
- Need: need to be understood, they made a discovery
- Go: travel around the world to connect the dots
- Search: what is the cloud? can we understand it?
- Find: the cloud arrives
- Take: and billions of people die
- Return: they can talk to the cloud and eventually it leaves
- Change: there isn’t more than a page at the end of the book (after the events) so I think there wasn’t much here and that could have been further explored